News & Insights

Getting to 100 – Documents required for the 100 Point Identification Check

Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 by de Mestre and Company

If you are visiting a Notary Public to get a signature on a document officially witnessed or to have the authenticity of a document verified, one of the common first steps is for the Notary Public to identify you. 

Identification can be established in many ways. The most common way is by producing documents that total at least 100 Points of Identification. To make the identification process easy, it is helpful to know what number of identification points are assigned to each type of document. Frequently, people will satisfy the 100 points by producing a current passport and current Australian drivers licence. However, there are numerous ways to satisfy the 100 points as detailed below: 

70 point documents 

The following documents are assigned 70 points each and are called primary documents. If you have two of these you can immediately meet the requirements of the 100 Point Identification Check.  
The documents are: 

  • Birth certificate
  • Birth card issued by a State registry of births, deaths and marriages, such as the NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages
  • Citizenship certificate
  • Current Australian or foreign passport
  • Expired Australian passport which has not been cancelled and was current within the preceding two years
  • Diplomatic documents, such as diplomatic passports, a United Nations passport, Titre de Voyage and a Certificate of Identity. 

40 point documents 

These documents must have a photograph and name on them. They include: 

  • Current driver photo licence issued by an Australian state or territory
  • Current identification card issued by an Australian state or territory, such as the NSW Photo Card
  • Identification card issued to a public employee
  • Identification card issued by the Australian Government or any state government as evidence to a person’s entitlement to a financial benefit
  • Identification card issued to a student at a tertiary education institution, such as a university. 

35 point documents 

These documents must have a name and address on them. They are: 

  • Council rates notice
  • A mortgage or other instrument of security held by a financial body
  • Document from a current employer or previous employer within the last two years
  • Document from the Credit Reference Association of Australia. 

25 point documents 

Documents that have 25 points assigned to them must have a name on them. These documents include:

  • Current credit card or account card from a bank, building society or credit union
  • Current telephone, water, gas or electricity bill
  • Foreign driver’s licence
  • Medicare card
  • Electoral roll compiled by the Australian Electoral Commission
  • Lease / rent agreement
  • Current rent receipt from a licenced real estate agent
  • Records of a primary, secondary or tertiary education institution attended by the applicant in the last 10 years
  • Records of a professional or trade association of which the applicant is a member. 

Having your identification documents readily available will make it easier for your Notary Public to help you. In lieu of having the necessary identification documents, there are other ways of confirming a person’s identity and a Notary Public can assist with this process. 

If you need the services of Notary Public, please contact Jonathan Papalia at de Mestre and Company Solicitors at or by phone on (02) 9233 6233.

Footer Details

Contact our Sydney or Melbourne offices or email us at